If the address on your Lightyear account is in the European Economic Area (EEA), you can deposit up to €500 fee-free by debit card, Apple Pay, and Google Pay with a 0.5% fee after this lifetime limit has been reached. Deposits by these methods are counted in combination together towards the lifetime limit. For example, if you’ve deposited €300 by debit card, and €200 by Apple Pay, you’ve reached your lifetime limit. Also, if you go over the free limit within a transaction, we only will charge the fee for the amount over the free limit.
We only accept personal debit cards that:
- Are in the name of the Lightyear account holder
- Have a Visa or Mastercard logo
- Have 3DSecure (Verified by Visa or Mastercard Securecode) active
- Are issued in the same country as the address on your account
- Are not a business, corporate, or prepaid card
You can’t cancel deposits paid by card that have been completed, and any deposited funds can only be withdrawn to a bank account you’ve successfully deposited from previously.
To find out how long your card deposit may take, see How long do deposits and withdrawals take and what do they cost?.
I can’t withdraw the money I deposited
If you deposited by card, we did not receive your bank account details and don’t know where to send the funds back. This means you’d need to use your local bank account as a withdrawal account:
- Make a bank transfer to your Lightyear account details in the corresponding currency. Once the deposit is credited to your Lightyear balance, it will create a withdrawal account. Read more in Depositing into my Lightyear account
- If offered, tap on “Create bank account” when starting to place a withdrawal
See Everything about withdrawals for more information